I've had a bit of a track laying spurt over the last few months, the track for my version of Dunedoo is now laid, the servo point motors have been installed and the track from Dunedoo to Binnaway (Staging) is laid, I do have to make the Binnaway staging yard though, which will be based on a sector plate and the final (Up/East) staging yard (which will be in the return loop near Liverpool).
|Looking from the Mudgee end into Dunedoo,|
|Looking from part way along the Binnaway end of the yard, the loading bank will have to be modified to fit the space|
|Looking from the Binnaway end of the yard, the Yellow Golden Fleece tanker is on the siding that will serve the Oil depot via a remote unloading point and the stock wagons are parked on the stock road.|
I've also made a new curved point to serve an oil depot, I made it using a templot plan
|The Templot plan mounted on a board|
I made the plan initially by rubbing the original track curve onto a piece of paper and then scanning & importing the rubbing/drawing into templot to then develop the point plan, then using the standard (for me) rail soldered to PCB method to make the point
|The point built using the temmplot plan, the road to the left is the oil depot road, the 2 roads to the right are to serve the abattoir|
Another job I undertook was to make the viaduct that sort off represents the Shepherd Street viaduct just south of Liverpool, it was made using a mix of 10mm and 5mm foamcore as the structural base
|The foamcore core for the viaduct, pretty simple really|
and then overlaying with SouthEast finecast embossed styrene (they make an A3 size viaductsheet which is near enough for me to the Liverpool Viaduct)
|Detailing bits & pieces added|
I used crosslinked PVA to glue the styrene to the foamcore and whilst it seems to have worked OK, I'm not convinced on the long term bond of the Styrene to the foamcore (Solvent based contact adhesive may have been better), the viaduct was then detailed (buttresses made, capping added etc, and arches lined) this was then sprayed with a yellow oxide (Cheap) spray can
|sprayed with (Cheap) yellow oxide|
and then drybrushed with various tones of browns and reds and then overstamped with the same colours using an offcut of a kitchen sponge, not sure whether to give the viaduct a final overall wash to tie it all in or not.
|Drybrushed and 'pad/sponge' painted.|
I'm pretty happy with the end result, and its first time I've attempted something like this and it has been a great learning experience.
Then I had to clear the layout of all the junk currently strewn over it to get it running for a meeting I just had here, so this is the cleanest the layout has been for quite a while And I CAN run trains again - always a good thing, but somehow I don't think it will stay that way, but hopefully it won't get as untidy as what it was and I'll be able to continue running trains.
|Overall view of the bottom deck of the layout - I can see a floor :-)|
|Overall view of the top deck of the layout - Dunedoo is right at the back against the rear wall/window|
|Original Backdrop temporarily added - whilst the trains would not be visible behind the backdrop any derailed trains would have to be retrieved from under the layout with some gymnastic involved, and I'm getting too old for gymnastics.|
|The 'new' shorter backdrop taken from roughly the same location as the previous photo|
|Same location as above photo, but with the SHO on the track|
|Closer view of the cutdown backdrop - note that tracks are not visible which is the main effect I was after|
|Closer view of the cutdown backdrop with SHO carriage on the track|
I'll probably end up making the top a bit wavy so it's not too 'solid' a line and thus will hopefully not draw the eye to it and also will be covering the 'backdrop' with foilage (trees/shrubs etc) leaving the ceiling to represent the sky, well that the current plan.
The next few step will be around the points/switches, one will be to setup the TAM Valley point controllers to use them as an accessory decoder via DCC, the other main thing I have to do is to re-visit the main staging yard points as they were some of the first point I made and I'm not happy with their layout, nor the way they move (too stiff), once they've been re-done I'll then leave the track laying for while, hopefully run the layout & iron out any bugs I can see & I can already see some track has buckled in the recent hot days we've had.
Well, that's it for now, so until next time.